Why is it that for the past several years most churches have only heard messages that made them feel good about themselves…instead of challenging them to deny themselves? Why was there so much mention of prosperity and blessing, but little said about self sacrifice and dying to self? Because of this, MOST of the Church is totally unprepared for what is about to come. Can you see we are in grave danger? The Church needs a MAJOR reformation.
We must repent of our sins and return to the truth of Scripture, remove heretical teachings and replace stale and fossilized religious practices…allowing more participation when we gather for worship. Beware! Many churches are closing and many have become apostate. The “falling away” is in progress (2 Thes.2:3)…and many more will turn back as persecution increases.
Please consider these key points of reformation:
1) The word of God must be restored as the standard of truth and righteousness – it must be obeyed. The full truth of Scripture must be proclaimed…nothing is to be omitted or minimized. (2 Tim.3:16)
2) The Church must return to making disciples not just converts. Every church should be intentionally making true disciples of Jesus Christ…teaching them to do all that Jesus commanded (Matt. 28:19-20). A Sunday sermon is not sufficient. Home fellowship groups are the optimum way to make disciples. During persecution this will be the only option.
3) Teaching obedience, commitment and self sacrifice must be restored to the Church. Much of the Church is self-centered, looking for blessings with a “What’s in it for me?” attitude…instead of denying themselves with a sacrificial giving of their comfort, time and resources (Luke 9:23). How will they survive in the days ahead?
4) The love, grace and mercy of God should be taught, but the fear of God must be restored to the Church. Today, Hell and the consequences of sin are seldom, if ever, mentioned. Teaching the love of God without teaching the fear of God has produced a lukewarm and compromised Church. (Matt. 10:28)
5) Holiness must be restored to the Church. Not legalism, but a consecration and separation from the ways of the world. A call to repentance must be given. The One who suffered and died for us deserves nothing less than our complete surrender to His will. (2 Cor.7:1)
6) The gifts of the Holy Spirit must be permitted, encouraged and practiced. The Holy Spirit has been quenched in most churches…to their great loss. How the Church needs the presence, power and gifts of the Holy Spirit! (1 Cor.14:1)
7) The Church must reach out to a lost and dying world. We were never meant to stay comfortable while the rest of the world plunges into hell. Home groups should also be evangelistic…inviting neighbors, friends and family. (Rom. 10:14-15)
There is a remnant rising that has these truths burning in their hearts. Soon you will be released (in the midst of darkness) and empowered to bring reformation to at least some of the Church, bringing them back to genuine biblical Christianity.